Train for a career as a medical records and health information technician, or a billing and posting clerk, through BTC’s Medical Coding & Billing Generalist program. Students will gain a broad base of knowledge in general office skills, along with the required background in medical insurance billing and coding procedures. Program graduates typically work for hospitals, physician offices, insurance companies, extended care facilities and home health care firms.
- Graduates will have the skills and knowledge to organize, analyze, and technically evaluate health records for accuracy and completeness.
- Graduates will be able to assign code numbers to diagnoses and procedures for indexing health data and processing claims and complex billing procedures based on various requirements of health plans and insurance companies.
Program Entry Information
Students are typically offered enrollment in the Medical Coding & Billing Generalist Program full-time once a year or in the part-time program at the start of each quarter on a space available basis. Some required courses are only offered once a year; full-time students who do not begin fall quarter will not be able to complete the program in four (4) quarters.
- This program typically begins in the fall quarter.
- ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension minimum score of 71 or a C grade in RDG 085 , and Sentence Skills minimum score of 71 or a C grade in ENGL 092 .
- ACCUPLACER Arithmetic Test score of 50 or higher or a grade of C or better in MATH 090 .
Pre-Program Course Requirements
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Medical Coding & Billing Generalist certificate completion requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and minimum grade of C/2.0 for required courses.