2016-2017 Bellingham Technical College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Train for a career as an administrative assistant, administrative secretary, office administrator, or office manager and work in your choice of business and office settings. BTC’s Administrative Assistant program will prepare you for success in today’s business world, as you use your math, communication, and technical reading skills—and discover your personal strengths. The Administrative Assistant program will give you the hands-on and classroom instruction that all kinds of employers need. You could work in service firms like education and health, legal and finance, insurance or real estate. Manufacturing, construction, and transportation companies also hire skilled administrative assistants.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate competency in touch keyboarding
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate competency in business document formatting - editing from rough draft, advanced editing, formatting minutes, and formatting letters.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate competency in English proofreading/editing.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate competency in word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentation graphics, and Windows.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate competency in integrating computer software programs.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate competency in filing: alphabetic and numeric.
- Graduates will be able to provide effective administrative assistant support to employer.
Program Entry Information
The program typically starts in Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer Quarters.
These requirements are for the AAS degree and are lower than those for the AAS-T degree. Please see the AAS-T Entry Page for AAS-T requirements.
- ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension score of 71 or a C grade in RDG 085 , and ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills score of 71 or a C grade in ENGL 092 .
- ACCUPLACER score of 50 in Arithmetic or a grade of C or better in MATH 090
Pre-Program Course Requirements
- Students must have an ACCUPLACER score of 50 in Arithmetic or a grade of “C” or better in MATH 090 .
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Administrative Assistant Degree and Certificate students must have a C in all degree classes (required and elective), but there is no minimum overall GPA expectation.
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science
Associate of Applied Science - Transfer