If you’re interested in how cars and trucks run and how you can service and repair them, choose BTC’s automotive technician training program, which will help prepare you for top jobs in the automotive field.
Career choices are extensive in the field of automotive technology; you’ll be well-qualified for automotive technician or service technician jobs. Or you can work as a specialist in automatic transmission, brake, engine performance, or electrical systems. If you’re looking for an Automotive Technology associate degree program or certificate program that provides a wide range of high-demand skills sought by top employers (including automotive dealerships, auto rental companies, federal and local government repair shops, and fleet maintenance businesses), then check out the program at Bellingham Technical College. The entry points for the Automotive Technology program are usually fall and winter quarters. You must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable to participate in the work-based learning sections of this associate degree and certificate program.
- Graduates will be able to use appropriate clothing and protective gear and practice ergonomically correct actions to safeguard against injuries in the workplace.
- Graduates will be able to research and utilize vehicle repair information from web-based programs such as Alldata, Mitchell On Demand, the iATN, and manufacturer specific programs to perform vehicle repairs in a professional and timely manner utilizing all information resources available.
- Graduates will be able to diagnose accurately and critically across all major automotive systems and repair common vehicle problems using appropriate tools, equipment and procedures, adhering to standard time and quality standards.
- Graduates will be able to perform common vehicle service (maintenance) procedures using appropriate tools and equipment while adhering to standard time and quality standards.
- Graduates will able to meet most to all requirements needed to qualify for ASE testing.
- Graduates will be able to review, interpret, and convey written, verbal and graphic information to communicate effectively with co-workers, management, and customers.
- Graduates will be able to act responsibly and ethically as an employee by being punctual, following industry accepted practices, adhering to company policies, and interacting positively and appropriately with co-workers, supervisors, and customers
Program Entry Information
This program admits students once a year, in the fall quarter.
- In addition to submitting an application, Automotive Technology students must complete the admissions completion form and provide the following: - Copy of your valid Driver’s License (with no restrictions due to driving offenses);
- Current complete 3-year driving record from Washington State DOL (this must be obtained within the week prior to submitting the admissions completion form). This copy of your driving record will be kept on file for advising purposes only;
- Signed statement indicating that you understand program admissions requirements and industry hiring standards;
- A renewed copy of your valid driver’s
- You are required to maintain a valid driver’s license as long as you are enrolled in this program;
- Many employers, in this field, will only hire applicants who have a clean driving record;
- Driving records (abstracts) can be obtained for a fee. It is the responsibility of the applicant to pay for and order his/her driving records. You may obtain a copy of your current “Abstract of Driving Record” at your local Department of Licensing or by accessing the Washington State Department of Licensing on the web at www.dol.wa.gov.
These requirements are for the AAS degree and are lower than those for the AAS-T degree. Please see the AAS-T Entry Page for AAS-T requirements.
- ACCUPLACER Arithmetic score of 50 or a C grade in MATH 090 or ABE 050 .
- ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension score of 71 or a C grade in RDG 085 , and ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills score of 71 or a C grade in ENGL 092 .
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Automotive Technology AAS Degree and Certificate completion requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater. AAS-T Degree requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and minimum grade of C/2.0 for all academic courses.
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science
Associate of Applied Science - Transfer