2016-2017 Bellingham Technical College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Certified Production Technician
The Certified Production Technician certificate program is a national program provided by the Manufacturing Skill Standards Council (MSSC). This nationally recognized certificate is based on industry-defined and federally endorsed national standards.
The purpose of the Certified Production Technician (CPTAE) program is to recognize through certification individuals who demonstrate mastery of the core competencies of manufacturing production at the front-line (entry-level through front-line supervisor) through successful completion of the certification assessments. The goal of the CPTAE certification program is to raise the level of performance of production workers both to assist the individuals in finding higher-wage jobs and to help employers ensure their workforce increases the company’s productivity and competitiveness.
The CPTAE program consists of four individual certificate modules: Safety; Quality Practices & Measurement; Manufacturing Processes & Production; and Maintenance Awareness.
The Manufacturing Skill Standards Council (MSSC) credentialing system leading to a CPT covers the four critical production functions common to all sectors of manufacturing: Safety, Quality & Continuous Improvement, Manufacturing Processes &Production, and Maintenance Awareness. Each area is addressed with a separate assessment. An individual can earn a Certificate if they pass one or more assessments. However, they must pass all four assessments to earn the full CPT certification.
CPT is the only certification in manufacturing which has been accredited by the American National Standards Institute under ISO standard 17024. The CPTAE credential sets the gold standard in our nation’s factories. Benefits include
- A new ISO standard in certification companies can use as a common practice throughout their global operations and supply chains
- Prepares job candidates with industry-recognized credentials
Program Entry Information
The four Certified Production Technician (CPT) courses are online courses offered each quarter.
- To attain the full CPT certification, students must pass each of the four course final assessments. The cost of the course final assessments is included in the course registration fees. If a student doesn’t pass a final assessment on the first try, they may re-take the final assessments after 15 calendar days for an additional $60 fee.
- Course assessments must be proctored by an approved testing facility. At BTC, the Testing Center is in Building H.
Degree and Certificate Requirements
The Certified Production Technician (CPT) program is authorized and managed by the Manufacturing Skills Standard Council (MSSC). To pass the CPT program, MSSC requires minimum passing scores for proctored tests for each of the four CPT courses.
Pre-Program Course Requirements
- ACCUPLACER testing is not required for this certificate.
- The Manufacturing Skill Standards Council (MSSC) strongly recommends that individuals be at the 9th grade level of math and 10th grade level of English before attempting MSSC courses and assessments.
- Students may enroll in this certificate program without program application or admission.