This 18-credit certificate program is designed to prepare certified Dental Assistants and licensed Dental Hygienists to become licensed in Washington State as an Expanded Functions Dental Auxiliary (EFDA). Course content is designed to prepare students for the Washington Restorative Exam (WARE) and the restorative portion of the Western Regional Examining Board (WREB). The program combines didactic, laboratory, and clinical instruction to prepare EFDA’s for such duties as placing and contouring restorations, final impressions, and performing certain dental assisting procedures under general supervision.
- Recognize the role and laws of the EFDA in expanding access to care;
- Take final impressions on a typodont;
- Recall procedures for coronal polish, radiographs, fluoride treatment, sealants, oral hygiene instruction, and infection control;
- Place amalgam restorations on a typodont and on a patient, restoring function and anatomy to harmonious form;
- Place composite restorations on a typodont and on a patient, restoring function and anatomy to harmonious form.
Program Entry Information
The program only starts in Fall Quarter.
- Completed BTC admissions application;
- Evidence of high school graduation or equivalent; acceptable documents include a copy of your high school diploma, high school transcript, or GED certificate;
- Evidence of completion of a Dental Assisting Education Program accredited by the ADA Council on Dental Accreditation (CODA) or…Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) certified Dental Assistant OR Dental Hygienist with limited license;
- Provide evidence that you have completed seven hours of HIV/AIDS training;
- Possess and maintain a current CPR card. Minimum CPR required is HO 127 Healthcare Provider CPR (6-hr);
- Evidence of experience working as a Dental Assistant or Dental Hygienist within the last 5 years for at least 3500 hours. A letter on company letterhead, signed by a supervisor or HR staff verifying the above details including dates of employment is sufficient evidence;
- Provide evidence that you have a Dentist willing to sponsor you as a mentor and provide clinical experience;
- Upon acceptance into the program, students are required to provide evidence of negative test for tuberculosis from physician or health department;
- Upon acceptance into the program, students are required to complete Hepatitis B immunization series (students should note that the cost of this immunization is estimated to be approximately $225.00).
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Dental: Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary Certificate completion requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and minimum grade of C/2.0 for required courses.