If you are interested in pursuing a career in the health care industry as a dental hygienist, then look into BTC’s Dental Hygiene program. You’ll learn the clinical skills and core professional values needed to launch a rewarding career in private and public settings, such as dental offices and public health clinics. Dental hygiene students learn under the supervision of licensed dentists and dental hygienists on state-of-the-art equipment in BTC’s on-campus dental clinic. Program graduates are well-positioned for employment, with the hands-on clinical experience employers need today.
- Demonstrate current dental hygiene techniques, the use and application of dental materials, and safety and health standards.
- Demonstrate cognitive retention of dental terminology, theory, and science.
- Demonstrate positive work ethics, team skills, and professionalism.
- Demonstrate a foundation in professionalism through participation in professional activities and education opportunities.
- Incorporate into dental hygiene practice professional laws, regulations, and policies established by the licensing state and regulatory agencies.
- Counsel clients/patients to reduce health risks and provide community oral health services in a variety of settings.
- Review medical and dental histories, take and record vital signs, intra and extra oral exams, hard and soft tissue exams.
- Analyze all assessment data to formulate a comprehensive dental hygiene care plan in collaboration with the patient and other health professionals.
- Provide preventive and therapeutic services that promote oral health according to the needs of the patient/client.
- Following initial therapy, the hygienist will review all data and determine need for additional therapy, referrals or recare intervals.
Program Entry Information
This program will admit students again in the 2015-2016 year. This program has a selective admissions process. The deadline to submit a complete application packet is April 4, 2016 by 5:00 pm. See the Dental Hygiene Application Packet link below for more information.
Students are typically offered enrollment in Dental Hygiene once every other year.
These requirements are for the AAS-T degree.
- ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension score of 85 or B grade in RDG 085 , and ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills score of 86 or B grade in ENGL 092 or C grade in COM 170.
- BTC College Level Math score of 75 or a C grade in MATH 099 .
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Dental Hygiene Degree completion requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and minimum grade of C/2.0 for required courses.
Pre-Program Course Requirements
Other Application Forms
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science - Transfer