Train for a career as an administrative assistant, administrative secretary, office administrator, or office manager and work in your choice of business and office settings. BTC’s Administrative Assistant program will prepare you for success in today’s business world, as you use your math, communication, and technical reading skills—and discover your personal strengths. The Administrative Assistant program will give you the hands-on and classroom instruction that all kinds of employers need. You could work in service firms like education and health, legal and finance, insurance or real estate. Manufacturing, construction, and transportation companies also hire skilled administrative assistants.
After successfully completing this program, students will be able to:
- Type 35 words per minute with no more than four errors on a three-minute timed writing.
- Produce accurate business documents in a variety of file formats using computer technology and applying editing and language skills.
- Use a spreadsheet program to solve business problems using formulas, functions, lists, and charts.
- Apply techniques for managing time, records, and meetings in an office environment.
- Organize records according to ARMA rules and procedures.
- Use Microsoft Outlook to create electronic messages and contacts, manage multiple calendars, and track tasks.
- Design and create a relational database that includes tables, multiple form types, simple and action queries, and reports
- Integrate Microsoft Access and Word to prepare a mail merge for form letters, mailing labels, and envelopes.
- Apply communication and interpersonal skills while providing effective administrative support in an office environment.
Program Entry Information
Students may begin this program in any quarter.
These requirements are for the AAS degree and are lower than those for the AAS-T degree. Please see the AAS-T Entry Page for AAS-T requirements.
- ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension score of 71 or RDG 085 with a C or better.
- ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills score of 71 or ENGL 092 with a C or better.
- ACCUPLACER Arithmetic score of 50 or MATH 090 with a C or better.
Pre-Program Course Requirements
- Students must have an ACCUPLACER score of 50 in Arithmetic or MATH 090 with a C or better.
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Administrative Assistant Degree and Certificate students must have a C in all degree classes (required and elective), but there is no minimum overall GPA expectation.
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science
Associate of Applied Science - Transfer