(Formerly Survey Technology)
If you’d like to prepare for a career in a growing field that won’t confine you to an office, then check out the Geomatic Engineering Technology associate degree program at Bellingham Technical College. You can put your math and computer skills to work as a surveying and mapping technician or land surveyor in a construction firm; a surveying and engineering firm; a mining, oil or gas company; a public utility; or a government agency, such as U.S. Geological Survey, Department of Natural Resources, the Bureau of Land Management, or the U.S. Forestry Service.
BTC’s associate degree in Geomatics includes training in GIS, AutoCAD and GPS skills, as well as gain a working knowledge of Washington laws and standards related to surveying, boundaries and map preparation.
- Graduates will demonstrate competency in basic GIS and surveying and mapping skills;
- Graduates will prepare for the Level I Survey Technical Exam given by the Career Development Committee of LSAW;
- Graduates will possess the ability to prepare a topographic map of a parcel of property that is evaluated by WAC 332-130 standards;
- Graduates will demonstrate entry level competency in using CAD skills;
- Graduates will demonstrate a working knowledge of the Global Positioning System (GPS) as well as demonstrate a working knowledge of Washington Law related to surveying and boundaries;
- Graduates will receive, interpret, and convey written, verbal, and graphic information.
Program Entry Information
Students may begin working toward this degree quarterly.
Admissions application and assessment testing in Reading, Math and Sentence Skills are required. Your score on the test and/or your previous transcripts will determine where you begin your course sequence. Contact Admissions at 360.752.8345 or at email@example.com for assistance with academic planning.
- Students are required to take the Reading, Sentence Skills and Arithmetic portions of the ACCUPLACER Placement Test prior to enrolling for classes.
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Engineering Technology: Geomatic Specialization AAS Degree and Certificate completion requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and minimum grade of C/2.0 for all academic courses.
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science