Turn your love of animals into a satisfying career! BTC’s Veterinary Technician program is ideal if you have an aptitude for math and science, and are interested in being a valuable part of the veterinary care team. You’ll work with animals and people, in a job that is different every day.
With BTC’s high quality education and hands-on training, you’ll gain the valuable skills needed now by veterinary hospitals, surgery centers, specialty care providers, zoos, and wildlife facilities.
Prior to the first day of the first quarter, students must be 18 years of age.
- Graduates of this program will be prepared to:
- Care for animals in a manner that is safe for both animals and humans;
- Promote public health;
- Accept the responsibilities of his/her profession, to provide compassionate, competent, ethical care in a professional, conscientious manner;
- Pursue lifelong learning to advance his/her knowledge of veterinary care;
- Take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE);
- Take the state exam and fulfill requirements for licensure as a veterinary technician;
- Understand normal anatomy, physiology and behavior of health for the species studied;
- Understand and participate in the process of diagnosis, therapy and prevention of animal disease;
- Understand the profession of veterinary technician including: occupational safety, public health, client and colleague communication, ethics of animal welfare, and the human-animal bond;
- Provide critical thinking skills to reason through clinical situations and take appropriate action;
- Provide social interactive skills to facilitate excellent communication with clients and colleagues;
- Provide psychomotor skills to facilitate quality, efficient diagnostic and therapeutic interventions;
- Provide learning skills and tools to promote learning throughout career and lifetime.
Program Entry Information
- The program will be admitting new students in fall quarter 2017.
- Please refer any pre-program questions such as course transfers, observation hour requirements or pre-requisite course requirements to Mark O’Connor, Vet Tech pre-program advisor. Mark can be reached at email@example.com. To schedule an in-person meeting please call (360) 752-8345.
- ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension score of 85 or B grade in RDG 085 , and ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills score of 86 or B grade in ENGL 092 .
- BTC College Level Math score of 75 or a C grade in MATH 099 .
Pre-Program Course Requirements
- Students must complete each pre-program course requirement with a C grade (2.0 GPA) or higher.
- English Composition (ENGL& 101 )
- Math in Society (MATH& 107 ) preferred, will accept 107 or higher
- General Psychology (PSYC& 100 ) or Interpersonal Communications (CMST& 210 )
- General Biology with Lab (BIOL& 160 )
- Introduction to Chemistry (CHEM& 121 ) preferred, will accept other courses in the following fields: BIOL, CHEM, OCEA, ZOOL
- Entering students are expected to have basic computer skills necessary to use word processing, email, and the Internet. Students who need to acquire these basic skills should enroll in CAP 101 prior to starting the program.
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Veterinary Technician AAS-T Degree completion requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and minimum grade of C-/1.7 for Veterinary courses and minimum grade of C/2.0 for all academic courses.
Prior to registration for Vet Tech program classes, admitted students must be 18 years of age and submit evidence of the following requirements:
- Physical exam and recommended immunizations
- 11-panel drug screen
- Criminal background check
- Medical insurance coverage (personal or student coverage).
Students will pay a fee of approximately $119.00 for the background check, drug screen, and tracking of health documents.
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science - Transfer