Cosmetology classes give students experience in such customer services as shampooing, skin care, nail care, modern hair cutting and styling, tinting and bleaching, permanent waving, chemical relaxing, wig care, artificial hair, blow drying and iron curling. Also included in the instruction are safety measures in the handling and use of chemicals, sterilization of equipment, various disorders/diseases of the hair, skin, and nails and their proper treatment, salon management, retail selling, cosmetic chemistry, electricity, and anatomy and physiology. The curriculum meets requirements established by the State of Washington for cosmetology for both theory and practical applications.
Classes are taught in a laboratory setting at the College’s School of Cosmetology located 1411 Railroad Ave, Bellingham, WA. During Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer Quarters, hours of operation are 8am – 5pm, Monday-Friday. Hours and days may be adjusted as necessary. Summer session is required. This program is designed to be completed full-time in five academic quarters including summer instruction. Altered academic plans that include some part-time instruction may be approved in collaboration with academic advising and program faculty.
Bellingham Technical College (BTC) offers an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree . The cosmetology degree may be earned through a sequence of courses over five quarters, covering at least 2,000 clock hours of instruction. A sixth quarter may be needed to complete any missing clock hours. The degree program prepares students to take the Washington State licensing exams.
BTC does not offer programs in Barbering, Nail Technology or Esthetics at this time.
Bellingham Technical College Cosmetology School is located at:
1411 Railroad AVE
Bellingham, WA 98225
This school is licensed under chapter 18.16 RCW. Inquiries, concerns, or complaints regarding this school can be made to the Washington State Department of Licensing:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9026
Olympia, WA 98507
Department of Licensing Business and Occupations
405 Blake Lake BLVD Building 2
Olympia, WA 98502
RCW 18.16.200 Disciplinary Action-Grounds: Any applicant or licensee under this chapter may be subject to disciplinary action by the director if the licensee or applicant: Has engaged in the commercial practice of cosmetology, barbering, manicuring, esthetics, or instructed in or operated a school without first obtaining the license required by this chapter.
The BTC Cosmetology graduate will be able to:
- Perform hair care services for all types of hair including hair analysis, hair cutting, hairstyling, hair coloring and lightening, permanent waving, and chemical relaxing.
- Perform natural nail services including manicuring and pedicuring.
- Perform basic skin care services including skin analysis, facials, makeup application, and superfluous hair removal.
- Demonstrate customer service skills, self-growth, and personal development.
- Perform salon business such as front desk operations, dispensary inventory and loss prevention, resume building and interviewing skills, self-marketing, and the basic knowledge of starting one’s own salon business.
- Demonstrate knowledge of decontamination control, public hygiene, and special sanitation procedures used for the protection of the client and the operator.
- Demonstrate skills to pass the Washington State licensure written and practical exams required for a professional license to work in the Cosmetology industry.
Applicants must be at least 16 years of age, of good mental and physical health, and have a high degree of manual dexterity. The ability to read, write and interpret the English language is a priority. A pleasing personality and the ability to communicate and work well with others are important, as is stamina and good health since professionals must be on their feet the majority of time, and, in many cases, around chemicals.
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science