At Bellingham Technical College, the Process Technology Program will prepare you for a position as a process technician or operator for employers in power generation, refining, manufacturing, and many other industries. Process technicians work to ensure the safety standards of production and assembly lines, and oversee quality for an employer’s processes. Currently, our primary employers in Washington State are the four refineries in Whatcom and Skagit counties. Graduates have also gone to work in other water treatment, power generation, and manufacturing facilities in our region, across Washington State, and beyond.
- Appraise the typical hazards found in process plants, basic PPE, and know the requirements of regulating bodies regarding safety, health, and environmental issues (OSHA, DOT, EPA).
- Combine mathematics, chemistry and physics theory to apply to process applications such as fluid flow, the nature of heat, chemical reaction, boing points, vapor pressure and electrical currents.
- Recognize typical organizational structures, economics, and quality control systems of the process industry.
- Apprise fundamentals of refining and power generation processes; know core functions and principles of operation of typical process equipment such as pumps, compressors, filters and dryers, lubrication systems, valves, piping systems, and draw from memory Process Flow Diagrams.
- Integrate the principles of process automatic control and Data Control Systems (DCS) to manage simulated DCS scenarios.
- Graduates will have the ability to compare actual process plant experience versus preconceived notions.
Find important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended this program: www.btc.edu/GE
Admissions application and assessment testing in Reading, Math, and Sentence Skills are required. Your score on the test and/or your previous transcripts will determine where you begin your course sequence. Contact Admissions at 360.752.8345 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with academic planning.
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Process Technology AAS Degree and Certificate completion requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and minimum grade of C/2.0 for AMATH 111 course. AAS-T Degree requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and minimum grade of C/2.0 for all General Education courses.
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science
Associate of Applied Science - Transfer