Train for a career as a medical records and health information technician, or a billing and posting clerk, through BTC’s Medical Administration program. Students will gain a broad base of knowledge in general office skills, along with the required background in medical insurance billing and coding procedures. Program graduates typically work for hospitals, physician offices, insurance companies, extended care facilities and home healthcare firms.
- Perform front office tasks using simulated electronic health records software including scheduling appointments, registering patients and documenting patient health information using correct medical terminology and editing skills;
- Identify and apply the concepts of medical insurance billing reimbursement policies, practices and industry guidelines;
- Identify and describe medical coding systems and structure;
- Identify the governing bodies at the Federal, State and Local levels and analyze their impact on medical office operations;
Program Entry Information
This is an open enrollment program; students may start in any quarter; however, some courses are only offered once per year.
Admissions application and assessment testing in Reading, Math, and Sentence Skills are required. Your score on the test and/or your previous transcripts will determine where you begin your course sequence. Contact Admissions at 360.752.8345 or at email@example.com for assistance with academic planning.
- ACCUPLACER Classic Reading (71) or higher OR ACCUPLACER Next Gen Reading (247) or higher OR RDG 085 with a C or higher.
- ACCUPLACER Classic Sentence Skills (71) or higher OR ACCUPLACER Next Gen Writing (245) or higher OR ENGL 092 with a C or higher.
- ACCUPLACER Classic Arithmetic (38) or higher OR ACCUPLACER Next Gen (230) or higher OR ABE 050 with a C or higher.
Degree and Certificate Requirements
A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and minimum grade of C/2.0 for required courses.