In a world where everyday items are increasingly dependent upon computers – from phones to televisions to medical equipment – the need for skilled workers who can troubleshoot computer software issues is growing. If you enjoy combining technical and customer service skills in a variety of business and office settings, Bellingham Technical College’s Computer Support Specialist associate degree could be a good fit to get your tech career started. BTC’s Computer Support Specialist program will train you for top jobs in computer support, software, help desk support, PC support, and training and software support coordination.
BTC’s classes will train you in valuable software and computer support skills needed by companies big and small, including hospitals, financial institutions, large corporations, school districts, and universities. Computer hardware and software manufacturers also hire BTC’s program graduates to work as customer service representatives and help desk personnel.
Students in the Computer Support Specialist associate degree program at Bellingham Technical College will receive training in word processing, spreadsheets and databases; teaching others how to use computers and software; basic computer programming and website building; operating system installation and configuration; and more.
After successfully completing this program, students will be able to:
- Apply industry standard IT networking solutions to understand and troubleshoot networking issues.
- Design and develop an IT Helpdesk disaster recovery plan.
- Troubleshoot operating systems or software problems.
- Design and develop a hardware-based user needs assessment.
- Use a variety of scripting tools or languages to automate routine tasks.
- Provide satisfactory helpdesk solutions to problems or scenarios with Microsoft Office software using industry standard helpdesk procedures.
- Provide efficient and effective IT technical support to clients in a manner that promotes safe computing practices and encourages effective working relationships.
Admissions application and assessment testing in Reading, Math, and Sentence Skills are required. Your score on the test and/or your previous transcripts will determine where you begin your course sequence. Contact Admissions at 360.752.8345 or at email@example.com for assistance with academic planning.
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Computer Support Specialist Degree and Certificate completion requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and minimum grade of D/1.0 for all program courses. General Education courses must have a minimum grade of C or higher.
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science
Associate of Applied Science - Transfer