If you’re interested in how cars and trucks run and how you can service and repair them, choose BTC’s automotive technician training program, which will help prepare you for top jobs in the automotive field.
Career choices are extensive in the field of automotive technology; you’ll be well-qualified for automotive technician or service technician jobs. Or you can work as a specialist in automatic transmission, brake, engine performance, or electrical systems. If you’re looking for an Automotive Technology associate degree program or certificate program that provides a wide range of high-demand skills sought by top employers (including automotive dealerships, auto rental companies, federal and local government repair shops, and fleet maintenance businesses), then check out the program at Bellingham Technical College.
After successfully completing this program, students will be able to:
- Comply with personal and environmental safety practices specific to the automotive industry.
- Evaluate and use technical information and testing procedures from a variety of sources to diagnose and repair various automotive system failures.
- Perform maintenance and light repair common to the automotive industry.
- Diagnose and repair common electrical and electronic system failures.
- Perform diagnostics and repairs consistent with an entry-level automotive technician.
- Communicate and document work performed using trade specific language.
- Demonstrate positive work traits and excellent customer service skills as a member of a technical team.
Admissions application and assessment testing in Reading, Math, and Sentence Skills are required. Your score on the test and/or your previous transcripts will determine where you begin your course sequence. Contact Admissions at 360.752.8345 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with academic planning.
Prior to registering for program classes, students are required to submit the following documentation to the Admissions Office:
- Copy of your valid Driver’s License (with no restrictions due to driving offenses);
- Current complete 3-year driving record from Washington State DOL. This copy of your driving record will be kept on file for advising purposes only;
- Signed Industry Expectations form indicating that you understand program admission requirements and industry hiring standards.
Important Program Notes:
- You are required to maintain a valid driver’s license as long as you are enrolled in this program.
- Many employers, in this field, will only hire applicants who have a clean driving record.
- Driving records (abstracts) can be obtained for a fee. It is the responsibility of the applicant to pay for and order his/her driving records. You may obtain a copy of your current “Abstract of Driving Record” at your local Department of Licensing or by accessing the Washington State Department of Licensing on the web at www.dol.wa.gov
- A renewed copy of your valid driver’s license (with no restrictions due to driving offenses) will again be required at the start of your second year in the program.
- All General Education courses must be completed prior to the beginning of the 2nd year.
Degree and Certificate Requirements
Automotive Technology AAS Degree and Certificate completion requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. AAS-T Degree require a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and minimum grade of C/2.0 for all General Education courses.
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science
Associate of Applied Science - Transfer